Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Choosing Family

My husband and I were blessed to share the last couple of weeks with our family. We're pretty sequestered from blood, out here in SC, and have adopted our community group from church as our family. I made the long drive to O'Fallon, Illinois two weeks ago to attend our eldest grandson's 8th grade graduation. I had the pleasure of spending time with both our daughters and their children, as well as my husband's parents and godmother. When I returned, I brought my mom home with me, and my dad and his brother followed about a week later. They left yesterday.

We've talked a lot, since before our marriage, about having a family together. We plan to have biological children, adopt, and foster, Lord permitting any/all of that. In the mean time, we pray for the family we have. We long to draw them close to the Eternal Arms that hold us so gently. Neither of our daughters know our God. None of our grandchildren do. As simple as it might be to surrender them to the paths they're on and start over with "our own" family, it's really not simple at all. How do you just count out the ones you love and not pursue them for eternity?

We're both blessed to have parents who call Jesus their Lord and Savior. My parents (Mumsy and Daddy) have lived out this faith all my life, and I have no doubt. I don't know his parents (Mom and Dad) as well, but have had conversations with them each about their relationships with God. Mom attends a Baptist church, and Dad attends a Catholic one. Their faiths seem to be quieter, less obtrusive, than the ones I was raised around. I wonder if our kids and grandkids see those faiths in action (they all live in the same area), if they're drawn to God because of the examples before them. I honestly don't know, and I trust that they are at least aware that Mom and Dad have chosen relationships with the Almighty. Neither of my husband's siblings profess a relationship with our God, so I wonder.

I read a blog post today on Raising Homemakers about getting our kids to Jesus. It's all about how Jesus is in the business of restoring children to their parents, making broken things whole. I love that picture of Him. Redeemer. Kinsman redeemer. As the pastor at the church we attend describes Grace, anything that can be restored or redeemed should be.


Even while we weep over poor decisions, difficult paths, and darkened hearts, we know that God is all about making things whole. We can trust Him with our children. We must. He's the only one who CAN do what's needed, and He already has.

Lord of our lives, be Lord of our family. Restore our lost ones to Yourself, and to us. Draw them to You  with Your everlasting love and grace. Make us conduits of that grace and peace. Help us to be examples of Your love. Open their eyes and hearts to You. 

Much love.
LL~

No comments:

Post a Comment